Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Gift of Peace

Today’s Reading: Psalm 68, 72, 86; John 14

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27 NIV).

Do you have peace in your life? One of the great things Jesus Christ gives us is peace, if only we ask. I know I live a large part of my life jumping from one thing to the next, and worrying about the outcome of every little thing, big and small. I allow my heart to be “troubled” by these things, instead of resting in the amazing peace of God.
About a month ago, I was at the Ladies Bible Study at my church. We were watching a video series, and the speaker gave a great suggestion for gaining peace in our lives. She suggested that we not only give our issue over to God, but then replace it with scripture. This way, whenever Satan tries to attack us over the issue again, we can combat the attack with the word of God. What a great suggestion.
For me, worry is something I deal with on a daily basis. Everyday Satan seems to bring up something for me to worry about. Whether it’s a family member’s job, my relationship with a friend, or if I’ll carry my baby full term, I’m hounded on a daily basis with worry, instead of resting in peace.
In the past few years, I’ve learned to immediately bring these worries before the throne of God and lay them at his feet. I’ve asked him to replace these worries with peace. And he does, every time I ask.
But now I can take it one step further. After laying my worries at the foot of the cross, I can claim the words of John 14:27 as a reminder of God’s gift of peace to each of us as believers. What a wonderful gift that is!


What do you struggle with, and what verse could you claim to combat this struggle?

Lord, thank you for giving us your peace each and everyday. Help me to lay my burdens at your feet, and walk each day in your peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment