Friday, June 18, 2010

The Battle of the Tongue

As I was reading through Proverbs today, I couldn’t help but pick up on some of the things God has been teaching me as a wife. I know that I often fall short, but I really do want to be “my husband’s crown.” It’s always been my goal to make our home a place that my husband looks forward to coming come to in the evening. In doing this, I’ve had to pray time and again for big doses of love, because I don’t always feel like being very kind. I don’t always feel like loving my husband the way I should. One of the big areas in which I’ve improved in the last 1 ½ years of our marriage is with my tongue. I’m slowly learning that there’s no excuse for harsh words or condescending tones, even if it is “that time of the month” or I’m pregnant. These times may work havoc on my emotions, but just the same, my husband still needs love from me. By reigning in my reckless words, I’m giving myself those few moments to think, and decide whether it’s really worth saying. More often than naught, the words are only foolishness. I don’t really mean them. And by not saying them, I’m able to build a foundation of love and kindness in our home.

I’m no where near perfect when it comes to my tongue, but I’m learning, slowly, and trying my best to become the kind of wife and future mother God wants me to be.

A Kindhearted woman gains respect (Proverbs 11: 6 NIV)

A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown (Proverbs 12:4).

From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things (Proverbs 13:14 NIV).

Reckless words pierce like a sword (Proverbs 13:18 NIV).

The tongue of the wise brings healing (Proverbs 13:18 NIV).

What Proverb spoke to you in today’s reading? What might God be teaching you through this?

Lord, please help me to continue to grow as a woman of God. Reveal any faults, and draw me closer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment