Monday, June 14, 2010

Guarding My Heart

Today’s Reading: Proverbs 2-4; John 19:23-42

“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life” (Proverbs 4: 23 NIV).

What good advice from King Solomon. I have striven for many years to guard my heart. As a girl, this influenced the way I interacted with boys, the kinds of dating relationships I chose to be in, and the kinds of books I read and movies I watched.
As a married woman, my life has changed. I’ve now opened my heart up completely to one man, but I still have to guard my heart when it comes to the world around me.
For even now there are things to tempt and distract, and take me away from truly worshiping my Father in Heaven. Even now my heart has to be guarded.
In the past I’ve made some mistakes. I’ve opened my eyes to certain types of movies and books, and had to realize the garbage these things put in my life. And so, I adjusted my principles, made my rules stricter, and tried to keep my life cleaner.
Why? Because I love God more than anything. I want to live my life solely for him.
A good question for me over the last few years has been: would I let my child read this book or watch this movie? If the answer is no, then, for me, book or movie isn’t worth owning.
Each person has his or her own standards. What are yours? How do you guard your heart?

Lord, please help me to guard my heart each and everyday. Show me changes that have to be made so that I can live my life solely for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment