Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Doubting Thomas

Today's Reading Proverbs 5-7; John 20


"Then Jesus told [Thomas], "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20: 29 NIV).

I admire Thomas. He doubted that Jesus rose from the dead, and was honest about that doubt. He didn't pretend to believe, just to be a part of the crowd. Instead he was real, honest, and himself.
At times, it is hard to believe without seeing. As Christians in the 21st century, we live our lives believing in a God that we cannot physically see or touch. Instead, we look to the Word of God, historical evidence, and personal experience, to substantiate our beliefs. And boy is there a lot of proof! I've heard some amazing lectures, and read some amazing books that show how real our Savior Jesus Christ truly is.
But even at that, I find myself doubting from time to time. For me, it's not that I doubt the existence of Jesus Christ, no, I know He's real. Instead, a part of me doubts that He'll truly provide. A part of me thinks that I need to handle all of life's worries on my own. A part of me struggles to believe in miracles.
That is when, like Thomas, I have to be honest about my doubts, and ask God to help me believe. I have to ask Him to fill in the crevices where I fall short in this life, and to help me to believe in the seemingly impossible from time to time. I have to admit that I am truly nothing without Him.
And then, I believe.

Lord, help me in my moments of unbelief to turn and trust in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment