Monday, June 28, 2010

To Train a Child

Reading: Proverbs 22-24; Acts 4

“Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it” (Proverbs 22:6 NIV).

“Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him” (Proverbs 22:15 NIV).

“Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with a rod, he will not die. Punish him with a rod and save his soul from death” (Proverbs 23:13-15 NIV).


Soon a little baby will be entering our lives. We’re so excited to meet this little one. Just the same, my husband and I are aware of the great task being placed before us. With the help of God, we plan to raise this child to be a strong, loving, follower of Christ. We are nothing without Christ; we want our child to see just how essential a relationship with Christ is in this life.

I’m sure raising a child will have its joys and struggles. We will be the ones who will have to set rules for our little one to follow. Sometimes, I’m sure, we’ll feel like the mean parent, having to take away privileges because our child didn’t obey. There are so many things that the two of us will have to figure out along the way. We’ve never had a child before, so this experience will be entirely new for us.

Just the same, I’m waiting for anticipation for the day when I can look my little one in the eyes and tell him or her how much I love them.


How do you handle discipline in your home?

What are your greatest challenges as a parent? Greatest joys?

No comments:

Post a Comment