Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Parents’ Wisdom

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 3-4; Proverbs 1; John 19:1-22

Hello my friends. Today our readings take us to King Solomon, a man with an amazing amount of power, wealth, and wisdom. The hand of God was upon his life, because He admitted that he didn’t have the knowledge to rule on his own (1 Kings 3:7-9). And so God blessed him with great wisdom, wisdom we can learn from even to this day. Many of his wise thoughts are written down in the book of Proverbs. I was especially caught by the words of Proverbs 1:8, “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.”
As I prepare to be a mother (3 months and counting!) I often wonder if I’ll have the wisdom needed to raise this little one along side of my husband. But then I look at my own parents, and all that they’ve taught me over the years. I’ve often heard that the older you get, the more you realize how wise your parents truly are. This is especially true in my case. Yes, my parents have their faults, but they really are great parents. They taught me to be a good steward of my money, to be discerning in the choices I make and company I keep, and most of all, to love God with all of my heart. Now that I’m married, I ask them for advice a lot less than I used to, but I admire their wisdom just the same.
They probably look at my child-hood and see all of the mistakes they made, but I look back and see all the great memories. All of the lessons learned. Because raising a child involves a lot of trouble shooting. The answer to a problem isn’t always right in front of your face. But my parents’ depended on God to raise me, and I think they did pretty well in the end. They showed me how to communicate, how to love, and how to be a good wife and mother. I admire them a lot for that. And I know I’ll continue to look at their example over the years as I mother a little one of my own. For my parents did right by me. And I hope to do the same by this little one.
What lessons have you learned from your parents, good or bad? How has their wisdom influenced the way you live your adult life today?

Lord, I thank you for the wisdom and instruction of my parents. Please help me to exhibit this wisdom in my own life, each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment