Monday, June 21, 2010

Hope Differed

Today’s Reading: Proverbs 13-15; Acts 2:1-21

“Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life” (Proverbs 13:12 NIV).

I’ve been a dreamer for as long as I can remember. As a little girl I used to imagine what it would be like when I grew up. I pictured myself living in a little blue house with a husband and a family. I imagined being a famous writer, having my work known throughout the world. I imagined being happy, successful, and living close to all of my family and friends.
I had so many dreams as a child. But as I grew older, I ran into an awful thing called reality. In this world, people were not always honest; they took advantage of my sweet little heart. In this world not everyone liked me. I would lose friendships, jobs, and opportunities throughout my life. This world has been a lot harder then I imagined it as a little girl. Time and again my hopes have been crushed and pushed aside. My little girl heart has become bare and broken. I have had to lay it all at the feet of Jesus and ask Him to pick up the pieces.

And He has. He’s taken all those differed dreams, and created something far more beautiful out of them. He’s taken all of the things I thought I wanted, and changed them into the things He wants me to have. He’s looked into the depths of my heart and given me my true desires, the things I didn’t even realize I wanted. Because He knows me better than I even know myself.
As a little girl I may have dreamed of one thing, but He has a far greater reality in store for me.

What hopes and dreams have been deferred in your life? Has God ever blessed you with the unexpected?


Some verses to ponder:

“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.’” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV).

“Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:4 NIV).

Lord, thank you that your ways truly are not my ways. Help me to stand strong through life’s disappointments, and to always remember that you truly do have good things in store for me.

1 comment:

  1. My biggest deferred hope is my longing to go HOME, to Oregon. It has to truly be an act of my will, motivated only by God's grace, for me to choose to trust that He knows best. Intellectually, I have no problem there. In my heart though...that's a different story.

    ReplyDelete