Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Truth from the Heart

Today’s Reading: Psalm 15-16; John 9:1-23

There are so many verses I could focus on from today’s reading. And so, I’ll focus on the first words that stuck out to me. The Psalmist is asking who will dwell in heaven, and the answer is the person “who speaks the truth from his heart” (Psalm 15:2). After reading this, my mind went back to High School, to a night when I read these very words and wept because I knew how true they were. It was a night that I was in pain, because I didn’t want to speak to a friend, but I knew God was encouraging me to. For awhile I’d been ignoring the push of the Holy Spirit, pushing the thoughts of confrontation away, but on that night, I knew I had to listen to my Savior and speak some painful words in love.
What followed was a series of tough events. But through it all I was at peace. I knew that God was finally the center of my life, where He had always deserved to be. You see, sometimes in this world we put people before our Jesus. It happens subtly, without us realizing it. But when we do realize it, like I did that night, the Holy Spirit has more than likely encouraged us to act. It’s up to us to obey or disobey. It wasn’t an easy task to obey on that day. But it taught me a great lesson on conviction, and how to listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
While I’d like for everyone in my life to always be happy and at peace, sometimes speaking the truth is the best possible thing to do.
Have you ever had to share a painful truth? Did you feel the guidance of the Holy Spirit in this matter? How did your friend react?

Lord, please help me to be discerning as to when I should speak the truth in love, and when I should wait for your timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment