Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Greatest Gift: Eternal Life

Today’s Reading: Psalm 24-26; John 10:22-42

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and the shall never perish; no on can snatch them out of my hand” (John 10:27 NIV).

“Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not life up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will received blessing from the Lord and vindication from God his Savior” (Psalm 24:3-5 NIV).

In John 10:27 we read of the wonderful gift Jesus gives to all who believe: eternal life in heaven with Him. This gift is only possible because He died on the cross and covered our sins. Without this, we would never have the clean hands and pure heart required to enter the kingdom of God. What a wondrous thing. I’ll admit it, my earthly mind can’t quite wrap its way around this. It’s hard for me to understand why Jesus would ever die for me. Why He would ever choose to take my sins upon His shoulders and pay the ultimate price. But He did just the same. He died for every one of us. There’s no exception. The gift is open to everyone who chooses to accept it. No sin is too great, no person has strayed too far, that they get out of the Father’s reach. You see there’s always that choice. There’s always that moment when each of us can ask God to pull us out of our sinful lives, and take hold of something so beautiful and so true. By accepting God’s gift of eternal life, our sins are washed away. God sees them no more. While we might still be reminded of them, He no longer sees them.
Hopefully I didn’t come across as too preachy today. I get so excited reading the Bible that I can’t help but spill out the gospel story onto this blog every once in awhile. It’s such an integral part of who I am. I hope you can see that. If you ever have any questions, please let me know.

Lord, thank you for giving me the gift of eternal life. Thank you for covering my sins with your blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment