Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Ultimate Protector

Today’s Reading: Psalm 4-6; John 7:1-27

“I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety” (Psalm 4:8 NIV)

Have you ever been afraid of the night? I know that when night comes at my house I walk around locking doors and re-locking doors, making sure all is safe before I go up to bed. Even up in my bedroom I close the blinds tight so that no one can see in. Sometimes I even lock my bedroom door before I go to sleep. These things make me feel safe when my husband is away. When he’s home I’m more relaxed, because I know he’s there beside me, ready to protect me from the darkness outside. I trust my husband and feel safe in his care.
But the truth of the matter is that my husband is a human being that isn’t always around. Sometimes he’s out of the house at a Bible study or away on a business trip, and then I have the house, with all of its creaky nighttime noises to myself. It’s in those times that I’m reminded who my true protector is. While my husband may bring a feeling of protection to me here on this earth, my heavenly protector is greater still. God protects me from things both seen and unseen. He is the one who ultimately keeps me safe. As the verse above reminds us, He is the only one who truly protects us from things both in this earthly and in the spiritual realm as well.
And so I’m thankful. For while God is my ultimate protector both now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment