Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Refreshing Stream

Psalm 36-38; John 12:1-26

“They are filled with the abundance of Your house; You let them drink from Your refreshing stream, for with You is life’s fountain. In Your light we will see light” (Psalm 36: 8-9 HCSB).

“The one who loves his life will lose it, and the one who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life” (John 12:25 HCSB).

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I’ve been enjoying some time out in the sun. I love being outside, enjoying God’s beautiful creation. There’s one thing I’ve learned over time though, if I’m going to spend time out side, I have to bring my water bottle along. I get thirsty so easily. There have been times when I’ve felt completely dry and spent without it. My body needs water to keep everything functioning properly.
But even more than earthly water, I need heavenly water. I yearn for heavenly water. For this water never runs dry. In it flows the gift of eternal life for each of us. Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman about this living water in

Psalm 36 gives us a similar image, when the Psalmist describes God as the provider of “life’s fountain.” In God flows the gift of eternal life, ready for each of us. If we would only chose it. The problem is that to many of us love our lives in this world too much. We’re not willing to give up everything we have, in order to take a hold of something so much greater. Jesus tells us in John 12:25, “The one who loves his life will lose it, and the one who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life” (HCSB).

The choice may seem hard, but it’s really so simple: This life or eternal life. I chose the later.


Lord, when I feel fed up and at the end of my rope, please fill me anew with your living water. Please give me the strength to face each day, as I look toward eternity with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment