Saturday, May 15, 2010

Distractions and Devotions

Today’s Reading: Psalm 17; Psalm 19; John 9:24-41


“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer” (Psalm 19:14 NIV)

Last night I was laying in bed trying to follow asleep. Thoughts of the day, both negative and positive, were running through my day. I was wondering where those negative thoughts were coming from. And then I realized that it had been several days since I’d spent any time in God’s word. You see I got busy, surprising, right? We all get busy. But for me this business revolved around all of our houseguests. In my desire to make the most of every moment with my visiting family, I neglected to spend any quiet time with my Savior. It was only when I was quiet, and the end of the day, that I realized how desperately I needed that time with God. How I craved a time of devotion with Him. Because I’ve only been seeking out time with Him when it’s convenient. When my house gets to busy, the devotional time get’s set aside and replaced with people.
I know that God loves seeing me happy, surrounded by my family, but I also know that He desires to always be the center of my life. There has to be a balance somewhere, because I desperately need time with Him, even when I’m surrounded with family. In fact, I may need it more. Because it’s then that the “words of my heart and meditation[s] of my heart” get acted out in practical ways. If my heart isn’t in the right place, I may say things and hurt the feelings of some of the people I care the most about in this world.
Have you ever felt this way? When or where is it the hardest for you to stay consistent with your Bible Study time.

Lord, please help me to always keep you at the center of my life, no matter the place or circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment