Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I’m Thankful for Today

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 23-24; John 6:41-71

“I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life” (John 6:47 NIV).

Today the sun was shining, the air was warm, and life was good. I couldn’t help but be thankful for the life God has given me. I have a wonderful, hardworking husband, a beautiful home, and a growing baby inside of me. Instead of worrying about all the “what-ifs” I found myself simply thankful. And then God tested me. I won’t go into details here, but something happened that forced me to rely on faith and faith alone. I was scared and alone, but I looked to God and once again He provided. Once again He was on the other side, ready and waiting to hold me and point out the beautiful aspects of the day. Today’s test was a test of faith, and for once, I think I passed, because I couldn’t help but see through the sun shining through.
Reading these verses tonight, I was reminded of the greatest gift of all: the gift of eternal life, given to each of us. It’s so simple, really. But often we make it so difficult. As the verse above says, all we have to do is believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross and rose from the grave. If we believe this we are guaranteed eternal life with him. What a thing to be thankful for! The amazing love of God is something I’ll never fully grasp. It’s so all encompassing. To think that he would chose to love me enough to die for me. How amazing that is. And how amazing that he gives each of us the opportunity to spend eternity with him, if only we believe.

What are you thankful for today?
Lord, thank you for all of the wonderful things you’ve given me. Help me to be thankful for them, even on the tough days. Keep my focus on you, where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment