Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Salt Anyone? (Leviticus 19-20; Mark 9:30-50)

"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other” (Mark 9:50).
This verse left me wondering what it means to be “salty” as a Christian. Strong’s Concordance tells us that the Greek word for “salt” is halas. We all know that salt is used both to season and preserve food. But in the Greek, it could have also been used to mean something different. Along with the expected definitions, Strong’s also suggests that halas could mean “wisdom and grace exhibited in speech.” How interesting.
Shortly before these words in Mark 9:50, Jesus had been talking about stumbling blocks and Christians. He warned us against causing our fellow believers to fall. Then he has this statement about Christians and saltiness. Perhaps he was calling all of us to show grace and wisdom in the way we approached different situations. With wisdom and grace, our eyes might be opened to areas of struggle for our brothers and sisters. Without wisdom we would act hastily and foolishly.
For me, it is often my tongue that get’s me into trouble first. In the past, I’ve been known to tease and taunt, or to give into a situation too easily. Christ is calling us to live salty lives, not governed by our tongue, but by the wisdom and grace that comes from the Holy Spirit.
I know that I need the Holy Spirit to bring some saltiness into my life today, what about you?

Lord, thank you for these verses today, that encouraged me to take a closer look at how I’ve been acting as a Christian. Please bring renewed saltiness into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment