Thursday, October 22, 2009

Leviticus 23-24; Mark 10:32-52

“Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.” (Mark 10:43-44).

From an early age society has taught me to be independent and self-serving. In this world there is little room for humbleness and servitude. Many people will step on your toes and push you out of the way to succeed. For them, wealth, power and fame are the epitome of success.
Jesus has an entirely different viewpoint on success. In eyes, the truly successful are the servants of all. This is not easy, in any meaning of the word. Being a servant is one of the most humbling things a girl can do. But it’s what my Jesus calls me to do. Whether this means folding laundry and cleaning toilets, making food for someone who is on bed rest, or whatever else God wants me to do today, I am ready and willing to be a servant.

Ever since I read Mark 10:43-44, the words of the song, “Make Me a Servant” have been running through my head. I haven’t been able to find the author of the song, but I’d like to share the lyrics with you, just the same. May this be the prayer of your heart today:

“Make me a servant, humble and meek
Lord, let me lift up, those who are weak.
And may the prayer of my heart always be;
Make me a servant, make me a servant,
Make me a servant, today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment