Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 9: Job 1-2; Matthew 7

In Matthew 7, Jesus talks about a wise man (or woman) that built his house upon the rock. He compares this wise man to people who listen to His word. The application is easy to understand here. Though we will face trials and storms in this life, if our foundation is built upon the word of God we will make it through to the other side.

Consider Job. He grieved the loss of all the things in his life, but he never sinned against God. In fact, he worships God in his time of grief saying, “I came naked from my mother’s womb, and I will be naked when I leave. The Lord gave me what I had, and the Lord has taken it away. Praise the name of the Lord!” (Job 1:21).

The foundation of Job’s life was built upon God, so he did not waver even when everything was taken away from him. Yes, he questioned the ways of God, but he always believed that God’s ways were greater than his ways.

Job’s story is always a difficult one to read, because I have no clue as to how I would react to a similar situation. What would I do if my possessions, family, and good health disappeared? Would I still praise God? What about you? How do you think you would react?

Prayer: Lord, please help me to build my life on a firm foundation, you, so that I can face whatever trials this life will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment