Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 15: Job 17-19; Matthew 10:21-42

I love the words of our friend Job here in Job 19:25-27: “But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!” What words of faith! Job testifies to the fact that the Lord is his Redeemer. It doesn’t matter what his friends say, for his eyes are fixed on God and eternity.

In the New Testament this very Redeemer, Jesus, reminds us to no be afraid, for “those who want to kill your body… cannot touch your soul” (Matthew 10:28). He is our Redeemer, and he will rescue us. As Christians, we will live eternally in heaven with him, so we really have nothing to fear.

Isn’t this a wonderful reminder? We have nothing to fear in this world, for God has been and will always be in control. Job understood this fact so very long ago. He did not put to much stock in the people or things of this earth, but instead focused on God, his Redeemer. I’m reminded of the words of a wonderful song sung by Nichole C. Mullen called “Redeemer.” The chorus of the song says, “Well I know my Redeemer lives/ I know my Redeemer lives:/ Let all creations testify/ Let this, life within me cry/ I know my Redeemer lives.”

Prayer: Lord, thank you for this reminder to not fear earthly things, but to continually put my trust in you, my Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment