Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 16: Job 20-21; Matthew 11

“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

Picture a little girl, trying to bake a cake. She combines the ingredients in a mixing bowl, but doesn’t realize that she added 4 cups of salt instead of sugar. Her mother sees the mistake and tries to help, but the stubborn little girl demands she can do this on her own. In the end, the cake is a disaster and the little girl is a puddle of tears. Lots of time, energy, and baking ingredients were lost because of the little girl’s stubbornness. Isn’t that true of life as well?

As independent men and women, we want to learn on our own terms, in our own time. Certain situations would have been resolved long ago, if we had just listened to what God was trying to teach us. Instead, we take twice as long to come to that conclusion, and waste a bunch of time, energy and resources in the process.

In these verses above, Jesus is telling us to give over the reigns of our life and let him take control. He is ready and willing to “teach” us, if only we’d let him. And really, in the end, it’s so much better doing things God’s way. It may be hard to learn the lesson, but there’s no better place than having him in control.

Today, I need a Savior to take back the reigns of my life. I need to rest in him, with the assurance that he is in control, and he will teach me how to get through this next chapter of life.
What about you?

Prayer: Lord, thank you for being a patient teacher who is always waiting for me to listen and lean on you for strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment