Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 17: Job 22-24; Matthew 12:1-23

Hello everyone! How has your reading been going? I have to admit that the book of Job is starting to sound a bit repetitive. Just the same, I was able to glean some wonderful insight from today’s passage. It really got me thinking, and forced me to do some deeper searching.

Here’s the portion of scripture I picked out from today’s reading:

“But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold. For I have stayed on God’s paths; I have followed his ways and not turned a side. I have not departed from his commands, but have treasured his words more than daily food” (Job 23: 10-12).

As I read these verses, I was convicted. I found myself asking, what would happen if God judged me today? Could I say that I would come out of that judgment as “pure as gold?” Or would I be slightly tarnished? How would God judge the way I live my daily life? I am assured that I will go to heaven someday, but just the same, all of us will still have a day of judgment. For more on this Final Day of Judgment I encourage you to read Revelation 20:11-15 & Matthew 25:31-36. It’s quite fascinating. On this final Day of Judgment God will look at our lives, everything we did and said, and then separate us into those who are saved and those who are not. The saved will spend eternity in heaven with him; the unsaved will go to a place of unending torment called hell. I know, you’re all squirming in your seats now. Judgment day is one of those topics often avoided in polite conversation, but it’s oh so real just the same.

After reading about the Final Judgment Day, I was encouraged all a new to live my life for the Lord. I was saved by grace, which I’m oh so thankful for. On my own I could never measure up. Now that I have accepted that salvation, I need to live out my daily life for the Lord: “For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faiths without works is dead” (James 2:26, HCSV). (For more reading on faith and works, see James 2: 14-26).

Questions: How have you been living for the Lord? Can you say that you have truly “treasured his words more than daily food?”

Prayer: Lord, please help me to always put you first in my life. Show me ways to serve you throughout the day. For I do treasure you more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment