Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 18: Job 25-27; Matthew 12:24-50

Hello everyone,

Remember our devotional from yesterday in which we talked about Faith and Works? Well, today that theme continues in the readings from Job and Matthew.

First, consider this passage from Job 27:2-6:

“I vow by the living God, who has taken away my rights, by the Almighty who has embittered my soul—As long as I live, while I have breath from God, my lips will speak no evil, and my tongue will speak no lies. I will never concede that you are right; I will defend my integrity until I die. I will maintain my innocence without wavering. My conscience is clear for as long as I live.”

Now read what Jesus has to say in Matthew 12:33-37:

“A tree is identified by its fruit. If a tree is good, its fruit will be good. If a tree is bad, its fruit will be bad. You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say. A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you.”

It’s interesting how well these two passages fit together, isn’t it? I think there’s really some important things to consider here.

In both Job and Matthew, we find that our actions really do matter. Why? Because our words and actions reveal the state of our hearts. In this modern world, there are many people who are tremendously good at faking Christianity. I have sadly come in contact with some of them. These people know all the “right” answers, but their hearts really aren’t in it. If you watch them long enough, you can begin to tell that it’s not genuine, that they don’t really mean it deep down inside. Their actions will give them away eventually. While they claim to be Christians, they don’t end up living their every moment for Christ.

I don’t want to be a fake. I want to be on fire for Christ. In order to do this, I need to examine my motives and heart every once in awhile. I need to consider the kind of fruit I’m bearing and if this fruit is glorifying God or myself? Tough, I know, but no one ever said living for Christ was easy.

What about you? Where is your heart today? Is your life bearing good fruit?

Prayer: Lord, please help me to bear good fruit in my life, so that I can be the best witness for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment