Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Words

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 1-3; James 1

“When tempted, no one should say, ‘God is tempting me.’ For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death” (James 1: 13-15 NIV).

I love sitting in coffee shops and writing. The music, the bustling, the sugary drinks, it’s a wonderful atmosphere to think, and to observe. As I was reading my devotions today, I couldn’t help but over hearing a conversation nearby. Across the room from me four people were sitting, a boy and three girls. From what they were saying they had to be college age, enjoying a dinner at this coffee shop. While I in no way no their hearts, their conversation was less than holy. I’ll save you the details, but I was saddened by the kind of personal information they were sharing so freely. Where has our world come to that nothing is kept holy? That anything and everything is up for public conversation? When did the name of the Lord start being used as a swear word? And the bonds of marriage no longer considered set apart and holy?
I really don’t want to preach today. I don’t want to stand up on a soap box. But I really was bothered today. I was bothered by what I heard. And I was at a loss for how to change it. Maybe I should have stood up, walked over, and asked them to change their topic of conversation. Maybe I should have said something. I’m no sure. But it was interesting how their conversation lined up so closely with what James had to say about the dangerous powers of the tongue and the temptations of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment