Friday, August 27, 2010

A Prayer for My Child

Today’s Reading: Psalm 67, 71; Philippians 2


“For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb. I will ever praise you” (Psalm 71:5-6 NIV).


This has been true for me, and I pray that it’s one day true for my little one as well. I grew up in a home where God was always glorified. It was an easy decision for my to put my trust in God at an early age, because the faith of my parents was so evident. They trusted the Lord day in and day out. Every time the church doors were open they were there, soaking up the word of God and fellowshipping with other believers. Their faith soon became my faith. I wanted what I saw in them for myself. And it has been my faith ever since. I’ve never turned back. My faith in God has only grown and become more personal over the years. I’ve only learned to depend on Him more with the passing of time.

I realize that I cannot force my child to become a Christian. The decision has to be his (or her’s) alone. Just the same, I pray that the love of God will be so evident in the lives of my husband and I, that our child can’t help but desire such a faith for himself. I pray that the way I live every moment of my life will reflect the unabashed love I have for my Savior.

That’s my prayer today, and I will be my prayer everyday as I raise this little child, and any future siblings that may follow. The verses above are so true for me, and I hope that, one-day, down the road, they will ring true for my child as well.

I don’t think there’s any better prayer than that.

Do you have anything specific you pray for your children, or the children of your friends and family? What could you pray over them today and everyday?

1 comment:

  1. Your story is so similar to mine. I've always described my home growing up like this: God lived at my house. We weren't in church every night of the week, we didn't do family devotionals more than sporadically, and we never went on missions trips.

    God just lived there.

    Who could help but love a God residing in your own house? :-)

    And I do pray the same for my children - that they grow up seeing and knowing God because he's simply around.

    ReplyDelete