Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Tree that Bears Fruit

Today’s Reading: Psalm 1-2,10; Acts 16:22-40

How happy is the man who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path of sinners, or join a group of mockers! Instead, his delight is in the LORD's instruction, and he meditates on it day and night. He is like a tree planted beside streams of water that bears its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers” (Psalm 1:1-3 HCSB).

I thought of a few things as I was reading these verses above. First, we should be happy or blessed when we don’t go down sinful paths in this life. From experience I know that this isn’t always an easy thing to do. There were many times throughout elementary and high school that I was plenty lonely because I chose to not associate with certain things or people. I often felt like an oddball because I was so different. These verses remind me that being different is a good thing and something we should rejoice in.

Secondly, those who follow on God’s path find joy in studying God’s word day and night. While it’s true that I enjoy reading the Bible, I don’t always spend the amount of time I should soaking up His word. There are so many words of encouragement found within its covers. After reading this, I once again had a desire to memorize as much of it as possible so that it will be on my heart throughout each day.

Thirdly, we, as Christians, are compared to trees that bear their fruit in season. Our walk on this earth is a long one. Someday the days seem so dark and without end, but God is continually weeding, and nourishing the soil around our roots. He’s planting and cultivating and allowing the things that are good to grow into beautiful trees. He’s doing a good work in us that will one day produce fruit, if only we can on. Oh how I want the fruit of the Lord to be evident in my life!

What do you think the fruit on the tree means? What would the fruits of the Lord look like in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment