Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Child of God

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 15-16; Amos 7-9; Galatians 2-3

“You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise” (Galatians 3: 26-29 NIV).
When I read my daily devotions, I don’t often have much to say. Sometimes I think the words just need to process. The words need time to once again penetrate my heart.
I’m so thankful that God meets me each and every day exactly where I am. He peels back the layers and recognizes me in my most vulnerable state. He understands my emotions and hormones, and even when I fall short, He looks into my heart and sees my true intentions.
The idea of being an heir of Christ can be daunting at times. How is it that I would ever live up to such a task? How can I live this life as a daughter of the Lord? I feel unworthy.
But maybe that’s exactly where God wants me: weak, fragile and completely unworthy in my own strength, because then I have to depend on Him all the more.
In 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 the Apostle Paul writes, “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

It is in our weaknesses that God is able to work through us. If we were perfect, would we really be in need of a Savior? I don’t think I would. So, as much as I may hate my shortcomings, I’m thankful for them as well. Because they remind me of how much I need my Savior.
I need Him on days when I mess up when talking to a friend, when I don’t feel good, when I’m lonely, and when I just don’t feel like I measure up.
I need His strength because I don’t have the ability to live this life on my own.
I need the daily reminder that I am His daughter, and that He loves me more than anything. I need the reminder that the things of this world are temporary, but He is eternal.

What does being a child of God mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment