Monday, August 23, 2010

A New Christian

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 22-23; Galatians 6

I have been a Christian for a long time. In fact, it's hard for me to remember a day that Jesus wasn't the ruler of my heart. Because of this, I know the rules. I've lived my whole life looking like a Christian, talking like a Christian, and acting like a Christian. But on it's own that's not enough.
In this last chapter of Galatians, we're reminded once again that works in and of themselves don't get us into heaven. Instead, it's an inner surrender of our will.
Men can be circumcised, women can wear head coverings, both can live their entire lives doing good for others. But if they never actually become a "new creation" (Galatians 6:15 NIV), the fact of the matter is that they're not saved, plain and simple. Salvation isn't a matter of works, but a matter of the heart. It's a matter of totally surrendering our old sinful natures to the Lord and taking on a new life in Christ.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV).

My prayer for today is that my entire life will reflect this new creation. I pray that Christianity won’t be something I simply “act out” but will be an entire way of life for me. And that Christ will shine through me in everything I say and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment