Friday, August 20, 2010

Good King Hezekiah

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 19- 21; Galatians 5

“Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. And the LORD was with him; he was successful in whatever he undertook” (2 Kings 18:5-7 NIV).


In a book of the Bible filled with a seemingly unending list of kings that somewhat or completely turned their back on God, we find a king who didn’t. King Hezekiah stands apart as one of the few who served God wholeheartedly. When faced with adversity, he didn’t rush into things, expecting that God would save him, but instead he went to the temple and feel on his knees in prayer. Because of his devotion, God saved him time and again. What a good example of how we, too, should bring our trials before the Lord.

“Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?’ declares the LORD. ‘This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word” (Isaiah 66:2 NIV).

I don’t always do such a good job at presenting my requests before the Lord. Often my prayers consist of rushed words, rather than a truly contrite spirit, prostrated before my Savior.
Today I long for a heart like that of Hezekiah. A heart that was willing to be humbled as he brought his requests before God.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment