Saturday, August 7, 2010

An Attitude Adjustment

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 10-12; James 4

“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up” (James 4:7-8,10 NIV) .

My attitude, today, has not been the best. I’ve been grumpy, focusing on my own aches and pains, and easily annoyed with others. It took me quite awhile to figure out why. I didn’t start today with God. That’s pretty normal for me on the weekends. During the week I’ve gotten pretty good at setting a part some time everyday, but on the weekends I get distracted. My husband’s around, and we’re usually out and about running errands, doing something with friends, or just enjoying the beautiful summertime in general.
Today I felt a nudging from the Holy Spirit, but I ignored it and started my day. It was a matter of going downstairs to get my laptop, but I didn’t feel like going that far out of the way. I was more interested in breakfast, and the company currently staying at our house. And so I neglected to spend time with God, even though I knew I needed to.
And I’ve felt grumpy ever since.
Now it’s almost dinnertime, and I’ve finally wised up. I holed myself up in my room, away from all the distractions, and spent some time reading the word of God. I’ve found myself weak, humbled, and award of my inadequacies. I’m ready for my heart to once again be purified. And I’m praying that the rest of this day, however little is left, is much better than the first. I’m praying that my attitude improves, and that joy of the Lord will once again be my strength.

What about you? How are you doing on your daily quiet time with God? Does your attitude or heart need an adjustment today?

No comments:

Post a Comment