Monday, January 4, 2010

Deuteronomy 14-16; Luke 5:1-16

Well I know I won’t get this whole Bible in a Year thing done in a year, but I still have the intention of getting this thing done, and blogging about it through the whole process. So here goes the 2010 readings!

The thing that stuck out the most to me today was a tiny verse near the end of Deuteronomy 16. This verse says “your joy will be complete” or as the NASV translates it, you will be “all together joyful.” In context the verse was talking about the Israelites’ feats, but I think that there’s some application even today.

Matthew Henry comments on this portion of scripture by saying, “It is the will of God that his people should be a cheerful people. If those that were under the law must rejoice before God, much more must we that are under the grace of the gospel, which makes it our duty, not only as here to rejoice in our feasts, but to rejoice evermore, to rejoice in the Lord always.”*

God calls us to be joyful. Not just sort of joyful or kind of joyful or sometimes joyful, but completely joyful. This may seem like a daunting task for some, but the invitation is always there. He is ready and willing to give us joy in our lives. A joy that passes understanding. A complete joy that can only come from him.

Do you need joy in your life today?

Lord thank you for loving me the way I am today. Please give me more joy in my life.

*Henry, Matthew. "Commentary on Deuteronomy 16." . Blue Letter Bible. 1 Mar 1996. 2010. 4 Jan 2010.
< style="color: blue;">
AuthorID=4&contentID=800&commInfo=5&topic=Deuteronomy >

No comments:

Post a Comment