Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Deuteronomy 17-19; Luke 5:17-39

Healing: why is it so hard to believe in sometimes? The faith seen in today’s reading from Luke was so beautiful. Here were a couple of friends who truly believed that their paralytic buddy could be healed, so much so that they cut a hole in the roof and lowered him down into the house, just so he could be in front of Jesus. These friends went to great extents to see their friend healed. They believed that the seemingly impossible could actually happen. Oh that I had their faith.
So often I look at all of the seemingly unanswered prayers in the world around me and my faith begins to waver. I want to believe that miracles can happen, that people can be healed from sickness, but so often my logical brain causes me to fall short.
In Matthew 17:20 Jesus tells his disciples, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Faith can move mountains. On my own, I can’t heal sickness or safe people from disaster, but God can (Matthew 19:26). All he asks is that we believe in the unknown, that we believe that our God can provide in any and every situation, even when we don’t see the results.
There are things I’ve prayed for year after year and still haven’t seen the outcome. At times I’m tempted to give up, but then I’m reminded of how great our God is, and how he really does always provide.
Lord, give me faith to believe in the impossible today.

No comments:

Post a Comment