Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Deuteronomy 23-25; Luke 6:27-49

"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:43-45, NIV).

I’ll admit it, I don’t always say the right thing. I like the be accepted, I like to belong, so in the moment I’ll say something or laugh at something that doesn’t line up with my heart. It doesn’t line up with my faith. These verses above reminded me how important it is to live my Christian walk authentically. I will be recognized as a Christ-follower by the very fruit I produce. This fruit is seen through my words, through my dress, through my actions, and through my thoughts. It’s seen through every part of me. I truly want to be a good Christian. I just sometimes slip up, and have to ask God to take off that ugly fruit and replace it with something new and beautiful. At times this removal has meant avoiding certain bad influences, be it people, television shows, or books. Whatever the case, their influence was a bad one, so I had to ask God for forgiveness, and start anew.
I am by no way a perfect Christian, but I do pray that the fruit other people see is good, healthy fruit. Fruit that represents my true heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment