Friday, January 29, 2010

And the Walls Came Crumbling Down

Hello everyone, I’m so happy it’s Friday! I’m also happy that I’m finally in the book of Joshua, which is such an interesting book. In today’s reading from Joshua 4-6, we see God once more part the waters for the Israelites and then crumble the walls of Jericho to the ground. What spectacular a spectacular thing for them to see! And for once, what faith on the Israelites part. Could you imagine being there when God told the Israelites to march around a city for seven days. It much have seemed repetitive and silly, but they did it. For once, instead of grumbling and complaining, they actually had faith that the Lord really would bring Jericho down on the seventh day. It’s such a spectacular story of God’s provision, and of the faith we, as Christians need to have. Sometimes in this life God tells us to do things that don’t make much sense. He tells us to do things when we can’t see the outcome. But he honors our faith and persistence just the same. Have you ever been there? I know I have. At times I’ve had to march around the proverbial Jericho, trusting that God would provide at the end of the day and tear those walls down. At times this was the restoration of a relationship I was waiting for, or a job I needed to pay the bills. I had to walk in faith, and God said he would provide in the end. And he did! He always provided in one way or another.
The second part of the reading, from Luke 9:18-36 reminds me exactly why I do believe God will provide. In today’s reading we see Peter proclaiming that Jesus is Lord, and we see Jesus himself transfigured in all his glory, what a spectacular sight that would have been! Reading it once again reminds me that Jesus was more than just a good teacher or a prophet, he was Lord, all-powerful, all mighty and all knowing. He’s a spectacular God. And so, I can’t help but believe as I walk around my Jericho’s that he will provide. He has the ability to. Nothing is past his working hand. And so, for today, I keep on marching in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment