Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Undignified Worship

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 6-7; Psalm 30; John 1:29-51

King David had much to be thankful for. In 2 Samuel 6, he shows his adoration for the Lord by dancing in the streets which next to nothing in the way of clothes on his form (2 Samuel 6:14). Why was he so thankful? Because the Lord saw him, weaknesses and all, and chose to love him just the same. While he may have looked crazy to other people, the Lord much have seen David’s heart of adoration on that day. For in the very next chapter, David is given a special promise from God.
He is told that his kingdom will be “established forever” (2 Samuel 7:16 NIV). What an honor and blessing to be told such a thing! We see the fulfillment of this blessing in today’s reading from John, in which we see Jesus, the Lamb of God, for the first time. In the book of Matthew we’re told that Jesus is in the house and line of David. With the birth of Jesus, God’s promise to David is truly fulfilled. Jesus will reign eternally, thus the line of David will be “established forever” just as God promised.
But back to David dancing in the streets. His act was one of pure worship at adoration, yet his wife Michal criticized him for it. His response was this: "It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD's people Israel—I will celebrate before the LORD. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor." (2 Samuel 6:21-22). David understood that serving God requires us to appear “undignified” in the eyes of the world. It requires a state of heart and mind in which we love and serve God more than anything. As David writes in Psalm 30:11, “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.” David understood how greatly the Lord had blessed him, so he couldn’t help but dance in the streets in celebration. His words to Michal about being “undignified” struck me, as I wondered If I have ever truly been undignified before the Lord. So often in worship I stop short, afraid of what others may think. Today’s verses reminded me what true worship looks like. It has no boundaries, no limits. True worship only needs an open, willing heart.
Have you ever become undignified before the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment