Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Love and Fruit

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 19-20; John 5:25-47

After reading today’s passages of scripture, I found myself asking, “do I have the love of God in my heart?” Jesus told the people in John 5:42 that they didn’t truly love God. They obeyed all of His commandments and regulations, but they didn’t truly love Him. They had their own interests at heart, and crucified the one sent to save them. On the other hand, King David has been referred to time and again as a man after God’s own heart. In today’s reading he nobly takes the criticism given by Joab and changes his actions because of it (2 Samuel 19:5-8). While he wasn’t always perfect, he was always willing to learn from his mistakes and change. What about me? Do I take criticism very well? The easy answer is “no,” my perfectionist nature dislikes when anyone points out, even in a loving way, that I’m in the wrong. I don’t like admitting that I need to change. Yet, that’s exactly the characteristic that our man after God’s own heart exhibited today. He was willing to change, as should I.
I believe a willingness to take criticism is only one way that we show the love of God in our heart. As my pastor likes to say, if we are truly Christians, the love of God should be evident in every part of our lives. We should be exhibiting the fruits of the spirit at each and every turn (see Galatians 5). Ouch. I have a long way to go. I’m imperfect, but I truly do love God and I want it to show. I guess I’ll just take it a day at a time, and let God mold me into a woman after His own heart.

What about you? What fruits of the Spirit are the toughest for you to exhibit?

Lord, please help my love for you to be evident in the way I live my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment