Friday, April 16, 2010

A Day of Worrying

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 10-12; John 3:1-15

God is asking me to trust today. I know he is. Why you may ask? Because I began this day by worrying about my baby. I am just now 4 ½ months pregnant, and I woke up today feeling oh so sick. I was worried that I was somehow losing the baby. I’ve since then talked to a nurse, and been told that I just have some sort of flu-bug. But just the same, I was worrying, until I gave the matter over to God. As I sat on the couch, sipping on some peppermint tea, I was reminded that each breathe this little one breathes inside of me has never belonged to me, but to Him. He has already ordained the number of days in this little one’s life (Psalm 139:16), so who am I to worry? (Matthew 6:27). Isn’t that true of each one of us? We can spend our lives worrying about our loved ones, or we can put them in the hands of God, each and every day.
In today’s scripture readings birth is talked about in too different ways. In 2 Samuel, we see the birth and then death of a tiny baby boy. This baby boy dies because of King David’s adulterous affair (2 Samuel 12:22-23). After a morning of worrying it should have been tough for me to read about the death of a little baby, but it wasn’t. I found myself strangely calm, for God was in control of that situation, and mine as well.
Even today’s reading from John 3 had a bit of a birth theme. These verses were talking more about heavenly re-birth, but just the same, they reminded me about how amazing God’s plan is for each of our lives. He makes no mistake. God created away for each of us, through Jesus’ death and resurrection, to have access to Him, and to spend eternity in heaven with Him. And that is just amazing.
I can’t say that I’ll never worry again, it’s a part of my human nature. But it is comforting to know that God meets me where I am, and reminds me in all sorts of ways that He is in control.
What might you be worrying about today? What is your biggest area of anxiety? How could you give this over to the Lord today?

No comments:

Post a Comment