Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 34: Genesis 41, 42; Matthew 22:1-22

Hello everyone. Today our reading in Genesis continues with Joseph’s sudden rise in power. Where he was once a slave, he now becomes second command over all of Egypt. Only Pharaoh is greater than him. And why does he rise so suddenly? Because he gives all the glory to God. Joseph could have claimed the power of interpreting dreams for himself, but he humbly admitted that God alone could interpret (Genesis 41:16). Pharaoh is amazed by this Hebrew man, and decides to place him in charge. He asks his advisers, ““Can we find anyone else like this man so obviously filled with the spirit of God?” (Genesis 41:38). What a compliment. Joseph faithfully stood of for his God, and people recognized his faithfulness for what it was.

I wonder what I would do in a similar circumstance. In our reading from Matthew, Jesus says to give to “give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God” (Matthew 22: 21). Jesus is talking about money here, but I think we could use Pharaoh the respect this as meaning praise and honor as well. We could say, give to due to him, and to God the respect due to him. Joseph did this in Genesis, and I would hope that I would do this as well. I hope that I always respect my leaders, but honor my God most of all.

What about you? Would you stand up for your faith, even if your life was on the line? Would you honor your leaders, but honor your God most of all?

Prayer: Lord, give me the strength to always keep you first and foremost in my life. Help me to always give you the glory due to you, for I can do nothing on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment