Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 24: Job 38-40; Matthew 15:21-39

In today’s reading we come across a woman who doesn’t fit into the current ministry of Jesus. At the time, he was ministering primarily to the Jews. When she first speaks to Jesus he doesn’t even answer her. He stays quiet, presumably ignoring her cries. It is only after she continually begs him that he heals her daughter. What a beautiful story of persistence. What a beautiful story of faith.

There have been things in my life that didn’t get cured all at once. I still struggle with certain physical ailments to this day, namely chronic migraines. These migraines follow me on a daily basis. I have to admit that I’ve become half-hearted in my prayers concerning them. A part of me has given up on being healed, which isn’t right.

Of course I should learn to accept this “thorn” God has given me (2 Corinthians 12:7), but at the same time, I should never forget that he is a God of miracles.

I want a faith like this Gentile woman, who kept on asking until God answered her. I want to “pray without ceasing,” (1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV) believing that Jesus will ultimately heal me, if not in this world, than in the next.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for this reminder that you are a God of miracles. Please help me to never cease in praying for healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment