Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 21: Job 32-33; Matthew 14:1-21

I’ve heard the story of Jesus Feeding the Five Thousand many times. It was one of those stories that was ingrained into me in Sunday School as a child. Just the same, I still find it a thrilling story to read.

A few things stick out to me.

• Jesus left the crowds to be alone. He wanted quiet time, away from the masses. But the people followed him. Instead of yelling at them, the Bible says that he had “compassion on them and healed their sick” (vs. 14).

o There have been times in my life when I desperately wanted some quiet time. I have to admit that I didn’t act as graciously as Jesus when that time was interrupted.

• When the people became hungry Jesus told the disciples to feed the people.

o Isn’t it true that we often lack the faith to move forward? We look at a seemingly bleak situation, and forget to trust God to provide. I think that’s what the disciples were doing here, and I think it’s a great lesson in faith for all of us as well.

• Jesus provides the food.

o Jesus saw a need, and he provided for it. I’m so glad that I serve a God that cares about the little things. He is willing to provide for things be and small, all I have to do is ask for help. Whether it be food, a job, or the attributes of patience and kindness, all I have to do is ask.



Prayer: Lord, thank you for the lessons we can glean from your word each and every day. Help me to be more patient, and to trust you with the details of life, big and small. Thank you for providing for me each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment