Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 22: Job 34-35; Matthew 14:22-36

Hello everyone. Here's the portion of scripture I want to focus on today:

“Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, ‘It’s a ghost!’

But Jesus spoke to them at once. ‘Don’t be afraid,’ he said. 'Take courage. I am here!'

Then Peter called to him, ‘Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.’

‘Yes, come,’ Jesus said.

So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. ‘Save me, Lord!’ he shouted.

Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. ‘You have so little faith,’ Jesus said. ‘Why did you doubt me?’

When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped” (Matthew 14:24-32).




My life was so happy this past year. I was a newlywed, in love, starting a home with my best friend. I felt as if my feet hadn’t touched the ground in months. I was walking on water with Jesus, so happy, and so in love with the gift God had given me.

But then I heard some news, some news that would drastically change the next year of my life. In that moment I was grieved. I cried, I moped, I was no longer thankful for the life God had given me. I was afraid for what the next year would hold. I began to sink. Into depression. Into doubt. Into grief. I was feeling sorry for myself.

And then God asked me to look up. He asked me to make a decision. Would I wallow in self-pity over this new, harder, season of life, or would I be joyful, even now? Would I continue to sink in this water, or would I let him pull me out, and hold me on top of the water?

Yes Lord, I cried, Save me. Pull me out of this depression. Give me joy again.

And he did. No, this harder season isn’t gone. But Jesus is there, holding my hand, and helping me take one step each day. He’s helping me walk on the water. There’s no place I’d rather be.


Prayer: Lord, please help me walk on the water today, for I can’t do it on my own. Take my worries and cast them far from me. Be my Lord and Savior today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment