Friday, September 25, 2009

Exodus 31-33; Mark 3:1-19

Exodus 32:1 “When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, ‘Come, make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don't know what has happened to him.’"

As I read the story of the Golden Calf today, I was once again amazed at how quickly the Israelites seemed to turned their back on God and revert back to their Egyptian idols. When God’s presence left them, they immediately turned back to something they could understand, something tangible. How foolish of them.
But how often do I react similarly?
There have been times in my life when the presence of God wasn’t always that evident, when I felt alone and abandoned, and instead of reaching out to God, I reached out to other people, or to food, or to entertainment, to fill in the missing gap. There have been times when my faith has wavered, just like that of the Israelites. I could point fingers at the Israelites and show you every foolish thing they did, but I have to be honest here and admit that I often fall up short as well. My faith is often not as strong as I want it to be. When times are good, it’s easy for me to point out how God provides. But when times are bad, it’s often difficult for me to hold onto those truths.
This is why I’m so thankful for the godly people in my life. These people point me in the right direction and remind me to cling to God when times get rough. For, I don’t want any “Golden Calf” incidences in my life. Sometimes I need all of the encouragement I can get to remind me to grasp on to God and never let go.
Encouragement from fellow believers is a wonderful thing. If you’re facing a rough time, or even if you’re not at the moment, I encourage you to find a good support system, it makes all the difference when times get tough. In addition, immerse yourself in scripture. God’s word is a powerful tool to help us through rough times. Treasure his words upon your heart; you’ll never regret it.
When I’m tested in the end, I want to come out as pure as gold, refined and tested by my creator in good times and bad: “But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold. For I have stayed on God’s paths; I have followed his ways and not turned a side. I have not departed from his commands, but have treasured his words more than daily food” (Job 23: 10-12).

No comments:

Post a Comment