Friday, September 18, 2009

Exodus 19-20; Matthew 27:27-50

I’ve heard the crucifixion story so many times over the years. The images have been ingrained into my brain. Just the same, I cried when I read these verses in Matthew today. Once again, I was brought to the feet of the cross, as I watched my beloved Jesus die for my sins. Once again, I felt afresh the agony Christ must have faced, despised and rejected by his own people. Once again, I cried as I heard the voices of ridicule against my savior.
And once again I rejoiced in knowing what comes next in the gospel story. I rejoiced in knowing that Jesus would rise from the dead on the third day, paying the complete price for my sins, and for your sins as well.
And I wondered. I wondered if I had become callous to his word. I wondered if the story of his crucifixion and resurrection had become to commonplace in my life. I realized that I don’t often get as excited about Christ’s death and resurrection as I should. Often, in church, I sing songs of worship, but I’m just singing words. I’m not truly thinking about the cost of Jesus’ death and resurrection. I’m not truly as thankful as I should be. And I’m not excitedly sharing that message with the world around me. Instead, I feel foolish at times, irrelevant, and silly for bringing up the cross. Which is wrong.
For he is just as relevant today as he’s always been. He’s still the Savior of the world, ready and waiting to redeem us each and every day.
What about you? Are you excited about Christ’s message today?

No comments:

Post a Comment