Monday, September 14, 2009

Exodus 1-13, Matthew 24-26

Hello everyone. After a wonderful vacation with my husband, I’m back home, suffering from a bit of jet-lag, and a little disgruntled with the pile of laundry sitting on the other side of the room. But I’ll put off that laundry a little longer so that I can write to you. While on vacation, I didn’t write an devotionals, but I did continue to read in Exodus and Matthew. Today’s devo will serve to get us all back on track. I know I’ll be glazing over a lot of the text, but bear with me, and tomorrow we’ll have a much smaller chunk of scripture to cover.

Over vacation my reading included Exodus 1-13 and Matthew 24-26. In the first part of Exodus God delivers his people from the hands of the Egyptians through a series of miraculous signs. He takes the Israelites out of Egypt, and begins to lead them to the promise land. My favorite verses form this section are found in Exodus 4:10-12. In this chapter, Moses admits that he is very under qualified for the task God has given him:

“Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue” (Exodus 4:10).

God’s response to Moses here is what I love so much:

“The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say" (Exodus 4:11-12).

So often I doubt the very abilities and gifts God has given me. I compare myself to others and see how I don’t even begin to measure up. Here, God reminded me that He makes no mistakes. He has created me (and you) just the way he wanted to. He gave me these talents and gifts for a reason. And he will be there to teach me and help me to grow as a Christian. God’s ways are no my ways, so who would I be to neglect or doubt the talents God has given me?
What about you? Do you have certain gifts that you are afraid to use? What are they and why are you afraid? Is it rejection? Insecurity? Fear of the future? Give your fears to God and let him work through you. Remember, God used Moses to free the whole nation of Israel, he can use you as well.

In the book of Exodus, God saved his people from the bondage of slavery, in Matthew, God redeems all people from the bondage of sin. In Matthew 24-26, Jesus is getting closer and closer to that ultimate moment of sacrifice. My favorite image from this section of scripture is that of the woman who anoints Jesus’ head with oil. Found in Matthew 26:6-13, the woman’s act of worship is a beautiful one. This woman doesn’t care what others think, but instead worships her Lord unabashedly.

Reading this made me think of times I had held back from worshiping God. Other people may have been watching, or I just didn’t feel like it. The list of excuses could go on, but the point is there, just the same. I didn’t worship my Lord completely. I didn’t give him every thing I am. In the future I don’t want to make that mistake again.

I want to give everything I am to God, worship him with all of my heart, and let him work through me.

What about you?

Lord, help me to worship you completely today and every day. Use my gifts for your kingdom and draw me closer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment