Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Battle Belongs to the Lord

Reading: 2 Chronicles 17-20; 2 Corinthians 6-7

[Jahaziel] said: ‘Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel. You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you’” (2 Chronicles 20:15-17” NIV).

“You will not have to fight this battle.”

How many battles have I fought that were never mine to fight? How many times have I tried to fix things, when it was none of my business to do so? How many times have I tried to make those around me happy, giving my expert opinion when all I was really called to do was pray?

More times than I can count.

My desire to make those around me happy has gotten in the way of my Savior working.

That’s why it’s been good for me to be at a distance from certain things.

Although I miss my friends and family, living far away has given me a sense of perspective.

It’s caused me to fall to my knees in prayer, instead of getting the middle of a situation.

It’s reminded me of the power of prayer.

For the battle has never really been mine to fight.

The battle has always belonged to the Lord.

It always has.

It always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment