Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sacrificial Love

Because of the demands of a new baby, I’m attempting a new, Tuesday/Thursday publishing format here on Latte Lover Devotions. I’m hoping that, by publishing twice a week, I can become more consistent for my loyal readers. Please bear with me☺


Today’s Reading: 1 Chronicles 17-19; 1 Corinthians 13

“ And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love” (1 Corinthians 13:13 NIV).

And now we come to one of my favorite portions of scripture, 1 Corinthians 13. This scripture was read during my wedding ceremony two years ago. The words are precious to me, because they speak about the kind of love I try to exhibit each and every day. They are the kind of love my Father in Heaven has for me.
An entirely sacrificial love.
With a new baby in my life I’m learning about sacrificial love each and every day. I’m learning what the Apostle Paul meant when he said that love was not self-seeking. I’m learning how to put the needs of my family above my own needs. At times this means going without sleep, going hungry for awhile while my little girl has her bottle before I have my lunch, or spending time talking to my husband in the evening, instead of having some time to myself. This type of love isn’t easy. But is the love of the Father easy? He sacrificed his son for us, the ultimate act of sacrificial love. If he could do that, then I’m up to the task of loving sacrificially here on this earth.
Loving sacrificially causes my heart to stretch and grow. At times this is extremely difficult. At times I miss simpler days, when my life was more self-centered. But then I look at my wonderful life, my military husband who works so hard, and my sweet baby girl, and my heart swells a bit. Loving may be tough, but it’s worth it in the long run.


What words from 1 Corinthians 13 strike a cord with you? How is your heart being stretched to love more sacrificially?

No comments:

Post a Comment