Thursday, November 11, 2010

Do Not Lose Heart

2 Chronicles 7- 14; 2 Corinthians 2-4

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day” (2 Corinthians 4:6 NIV).

Do you ever get to the end of the day, thankful that its over and a new one is about to begin? I know I do. This world can be draining at times. Some days are just tough. Nothing seems to go right. I love the verse above, because it reminds me that the things of this world truly are just temporary. What truly matters is on the inside. While things around us may be falling apart, we are being renewed and strengthened day in and day out. Our Lord and Savior walks through each trial with us, and reminds us of what really matters, eternity with him. In order to truly bring this point home, I looked up the meaning of a few words in this verse. The first two words “lose heart” were translated from the Greek, ἐγκακέω, which means to become discouraged. It’s so easy to become discouraged when we look at everything that is wrong in our lives, isn’t it? But this verse reminds us to not lose heart, but to instead focus on what’s important.
The last word I looked up was renewed. Renewed was translated from the Greek word ἀνακαινόω, which means to make new, to grow up, to give new strength and vigor, or to be changed into a new kind of life as opposed to the former corrupt state. God gives us new strength and vigor each and every day as he transforms us into the person he created us to be. This process isn’t always easy, at times it’s downright hard in fact, but just the same, it’s wonderful. Personally, I’m thankful that God didn’t leave me the way I once was, that person wasn’t exactly pretty. Instead, He is daily transforming me into a work of art. A masterpiece He created just for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment