Tuesday, November 9, 2010

We are the Temple

Readings: 2 Chronicles 1- 6; 1 Corinthians 16; 2 Corinthians 1

I love the description of the Temple of the Lord that we read of in 2 Chronicles. It was truly a spectacular thing. We’re told that, during the dedication of this dwelling place, that the glory of the Lord filled the Temple in the form of a cloud (2 Chronicles 5:14 NIV). How amazing it would have been to experience that! To hear the people celebrating, to smell the incense, and to see the presence of the Lord fill the temple. It would have been such an exhilarating moment. The Israelites were worshiping the one true God with all of their hearts, souls and minds. Just the same, I’m thankful that I don’t have to sacrifice at a temple to find atonement for my sins. Jesus became the ultimate sacrifice when he died on the cross for you and for me. Now, instead of going to a temple to experience the presence of the Lord, I feel him inside of me, each and every day. As 1 Corinthians 6:19 reminds us, our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit. How amazing is that! It certainly gives me some perspective as I live my life, day in and day out. If God dwells inside of me, then I certainly want to make sure that that dwelling place is a clean one, worthy of the king of all kings.

What does being the temple of the Holy Spirit mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment