Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Oh Lord, Make Me Radiant

Today’s reading: 1 Samuel 20-21; Psalm 34; Luke 21:20-38

“Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame” (Psalm 34:5 NIV).

Sometimes I wonder what I look like. Does the love of Christ shine through me, or do I look like an ordinary person going about her day? Is it obvious from what I say and do that God is number one in my life? Or does my list of errands, and the people in my life take priority over Him?

Radiant (or “lightened” in the KJV), comes from the Hebrew word nâhar. Strong’s Concordance defines nâhar as a prim root; as the ability to sparkle, be cheerful, flow together or to be lightened.

What does being radiant look like in someone’s life? For me, it means that I’m daily in the word of God. I’m praying throughout my day and giving everything, big and small, to the Lord. It means that I’m so in-tune with what God wants, that it can’t help but spill over into the rest of my life. Being radiant means that my eyes seriously have a glow. It means that God’s love can’t help but spill over on the grumpy lady at the supermarket, or on a friend that needs some love. Being radiant is something I never want to have to hide, like Moses did in the wilderness (Exodus 34:29-34). He did it because his shining face seemed to alarm the Israelites (if I remember right). I want my face to always have that glow.
I’d like to note that I’m not talking about happiness here. Life isn’t always a piece of cake, I know this. Instead, I’m talking about an inner radiance that comes from being in the presence of God. I’m talking about a glow that can’t be taken away, no matter what I face in this life.
Oh Lord make me radiant today and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment