Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Deliverer

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 22; Psalms 56; Luke 22:1-23

As we get closer and closer to Easter, my thoughts can’t help but dwell on the wonderful sacrifice Jesus made for all of us when He died on the cross. We’re in as much of a need of a Savior today as David was back in the book of 1 Samuel.
In today’s reading we once again see David hiding from Saul, afraid for his life. Saul does an ugly thing today, when he kills all the priests of God. What a horrible act, and how far he had come from the young man anointed to be king over Israel. The spirit of God, which once dwelt within him, has now left, and Saul is only filled with black jealousy and rage. God’s face has turned from Saul, to a young man named David. A man who is slowly becoming a man after God’s own heart. We see some of his dependence on God in his Psalms, how he pours out his heart, admits his doubts and insecurities, and depends on God to take care of his enemies. David realizes that he can’t fight the great battle against evil on his own. We need a Savior to fight that battle for us.
In Luke, we’re getting so close to seeing how the ultimate fight against evil will be won. We’re getting close to that moment when God, in human form, takes on all the sins of the world. In today’s reading from Luke, we get a small glimpse into The Last Supper. This Last Supper would be the final time that Jesus eats with his disciples, and gives them the image of the wine and bread, representing the great sacrifice Jesus would pay.
He became our ultimate redeemer, something I’m oh so thankful for. Psalm 56:13 says, “For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.” For David this might have meant literal deliverance from Saul, for me, this means eternal death. Instead of going to hell, I have the security in know that I will walk with God in heaven. And for that, I’m eternally thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment