Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Jesus, Have Mercy on Me

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 7-9; Luke 18:24-43

"Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" Luke 18:38

Just as the blind man cried out for mercy, I, too, am in need of mercy. I’ve walked around today feeling sorry for myself, and letting the worries and stresses of this world take over. Instead of delving into God’s word and immersing myself in His truths, I’ve focused on the temporal. I’ve grumbled about how early I had to wake up this morning, about the “rude” phone call and email I received. I worried about all the things that have to be accomplished in the coming weeks. I blamed my woe-is-me attitude on a “woman’s hormones” instead of taking my diminished self to the cross. I knew I was wrong. I knew I needed to spend time with my Lord, but I resisted. I kept busy. I continued to grumble about my day. I focused on the material and temporal, instead of the eternal. Right now I need a reminder. I need a renewal. Some verses just came to mind about this earthly battle we live, day by day. In 2 Corinthians 4:16-19, the Apostle Paul writes, “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal” (NIV).
My eyes needed to be re-focused today. They needed to be directed back up, toward the eternal. So for now, I give my attitude, my less than perfect day, and my throbbing headache to God, and ask Him to light a renewed fire inside of me. Yes, most of today is gone, but there’s still this evening and tomorrow and the day after that to live.
What about you, do your eyes ever need to shift upward? Do you ever have to simply cry out to God for mercy?

No comments:

Post a Comment