Monday, March 8, 2010

Humbleness is What I Long For

Today's Readings: 1 Samuel 4-6; Luke 18:1-23

I’ve often heard the word “humbleness” and wondered what it really looked like. In a world that exalts the outgoing, forthright, takers and getters, humbleness seemed like the entire opposite. It’s been hard for me to understand how humbleness could be a good think, yet time and again Jesus calls to us to have just such an attitude. I love the parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector in Luke 18:9-14, because it is a perfect example of what humbleness does and doesn’t look like. This parable displays humbleness as the simple admittance that we are born sinners in need of a Savior. It’s the image of us giving God the glory he is due. It’s the imagery of living a life of a servant. No, this life of humbleness won’t always be what the world wants, but if it’s what God wants, I’m all for it.
How would humbleness look for me today? Well, first of all, humbleness of the heart means that I need God each and every step of the way.
Humbleness with others means that, while I don’t let people run me over, I do seek to love and serve those around me. I think about my husband’s day, and what I could do to make it better. I go out of my way to help a friend in need. I let someone who looks rushed get before me in line at the grocery store. Humbleness is a state of heart, something I’d like to work on today.
What about you? What would humbleness look like in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment