Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This Little Light of Mine, I’m Gonna Let It Shine

Hello everyone. I have to admit that I skimmed through today’s reading in Joshua (ch. 9-21). It was once again a list of the land allotted to each of the tribes of Israel. I did take the time, though, to find a map, so that I could see what the divisions of land actually looked like. Here’s a link to one of the maps I found. It’s rather interesting to look at. After spending some time with the map, I moved on to Luke 11:29-54. There’s something interesting stuff here! Jesus was definitely getting after people who had all of the right words to say, but didn’t truly live their lives for the Lord. In Luke 11: 33-346 he gives the illustration of a lamp, and how the eyes are a window to the soul. If the eyes are evil, then no light is shining through them, only darkness. But if the eyes are good, all of you is good. In particular, I was struck by verses 33-34 which say, “No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead he puts it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light.”
There are times when I ashamedly try to hide my light. A part of me is afraid of what the world might say if they found out I was a Christian. Isn’t that awful? I’m quite sad to admit that I’ve acted such a way. Sometimes there’s a human part of me that just wants to fit into a group and have friends. I laugh at the wrong kinds of jokes, tell the wrong kind of stories, and feel horribly convicted in the end. For that person, who was hiding her light, truly isn’t me. I truly do want my light to shine for all the world to see. I never want to be ashamed of the wonderful freedom I’ve found in Christ. And I want my eyes to always be clean and full of light. If these means avoiding certain books, movies, or people, then that’s what I’ll have to do, to make sure that I’m truly living for my savior the next time the situation arises.
Have you ever struggled with letting your light shine?

No comments:

Post a Comment